Friday, April 11, 2008

pics of the laurel creek not-quite-stop-sign






Aside: I had an interesting encounter last night. I was biking in a bike lane on Parkside, and encountered a truck parked in it. I got out and took a pic. The driver was returning and asked why I was doing that. I said for my online bicycle blog- it is parked in a bike lane.
BTW, the law says you can park in a bike lane to pick somebody up. This is primarily intended for taxis, but a driver briefly idling while his passenger arrives also qualifies. However, parking and leaving the car there and going inside for an indefinite amount of time is not allowed.
I encourage you, my readers, to take a pic of the vehicle, with license plate, time and place to send them to my "Hall of Shame". Alternatively, you could call the traffic police.

I'm in a bit of rush today so I'll be brief.
I am calling the city about those 3 patches of broken glass on the way to work.

The pics of the Laurel Trail traffic pinch point follow. It is by the animal zoo.
The left pic is from the driver's POV, the right from somebody on the trail. There is small sign asking one to get off one's bike. However, that means you are walking when hit instead. And what about joggers moving at a decent clip? I suggest the stop sign should be for those on the trail instead, while drivers should see a warning to watch out for trail-goers. If they won't stop, then there is something wrong with this road feature.
I'll try to get live video for this and the University & King spots. You need to see the methodical ignoring of road rules to believe it!
My other blog for pedestrians will list 2 spots that are roadkill zones. They share the same features and I think the parking lot exit is the problem.

No comments: