Sunday, April 20, 2008

dirt cheap helmet mount system for lights






D: A year ago, I didn't want to shell out the 50 bux for a proper helmet light mount system. They are elaborate and not cheap. I ran a screw through the foam and, with some duct tape and crazy glue, jury rigged a mounting system. It was invasive and likely weakened the helmet. Also, that means some bits of metal could end up in my skull. All in all, not ideal.

D: recently, the button on the rear light failed. Rather than destructively jury-rigging a new light, I pondered whether there is a better way. After my cruddy Canadian Tire 15 buck headlight special by Raleigh failed (it doesn't have a true off button, forcing me to unscrew it to shut it off!), I had purchased one of those fancier 50 buck ones with a helmet mount. Neither me nor my handier friend Ryan could figure out precisely how the straps go. I guess I'll go back to the store and ask. I never figured out my cheap odometer either.
At any rate, I realized by simply rearranging standard helmet straps, they could be used to hook those cheap 15 buck 3-LEDs-across lights. You know,the kind that clips on a belt too. It succeeded admirably. With some foam and tape to build a horizontal hump, they should work fine. They are reasonably visible even flush with the helmet.

(OK this blog interface sucks. All the pics go to the top of the page. Grr. %^*(&%^%^)

I like lights on my helmet for a coupla reasons.
1) LEDs are highly directional. Vary the angle by even 15 degrees, and the brightness diminishes suddenly.
2) by looking at a car, I can point the front light at the driver, or keep the rear light in the eyes of a driver behind me.

This would be a good time for me to mention my latest fave light.
http://bikehugger.com/2007/10/reelight_review.htm

The 2 closest suppliers seem to be:
http://www.hiawathacyclery.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26
and http://www.cycleslambert.com/customers/en/.
D: these are no-contact dynamos. They clip magnets onto yer spokes and mount on yer tire axles. I plan to modify some no-capacitor 100 series lights with orange filter material and have them point sideways as running lights.
I'll show you that project when my buddy picks some up for me.
I'd like to see cycles coming out of stores with stuff like this pre-installed.

Cheers.

No comments: