Thursday, May 14, 2009

a casual conversation with a Critical Mass participant

Today, I went to my fave café.

A fellow was sitting beside me.
We started up a conversation on various subjects.
We talked about the worker's very cool Harley-fusion bicycle with a motor assist.

I mentioned I have a bike blog.
He said he was involved with Critical Mass.
I said I read their Facebook group entry about mixing it up with cops, and wanted no part of it.
He then talked about one of the last rallies.
The cyclists not only rode double (side by side), but in both lanes and through red lights.
One cop tried to charge some people for it, only to find himself surrounded by a 100 cyclists.

This did nothing to change my opinion of CM.
They're hooligans, plain and simple.
The transit advocacy issue is a handy excuse for them to express their collective assholishness.

Do they really think any coverage is good coverage?
Drivers and walkers already think cyclists acts like the rules don't apply to them.

I saw a fellow cycling full tilt on the sidewalk on the left not right hand side.
He nearly got taken out by a car leaving Westmount mall.
At c. 30kph, the driver had about a second of reaction time to see a rapidly closing object from an unexpected direction. I would not have been too upset if something happened. That's the learning curve for the slow folks- pain is a great teacher.

Oscar Wilde famously quipped that the only thing worse than being talked about was not being talked about.
He was wrong.
The modern day confuses fame with infamy. Instead of grace and poise from Hollywood, we get lewd up-skirts. Look at me, look at me! ...

Critical Mass is the worst thing to ever happen to bicycle advocacy.
I will have NOTHING to do with them.

They are anathema.

I am applying to a local job as an alternative transit advocate.
I will not be associating CM with anything.

What a bunch of losers.
Get a life.

D>

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At first I thought you were going to be in favour of CM, but we share the same opinion on CM.

I'm happy we don't really have a CM here in St. Catharines (yet at least). Drivers for the most part are extremely respectful to wards cyclists (at least to me) and I fear that if we had groups of cyclists slowing down traffic on purpose, they'll then assume ALL cyclists are like CMer's and take out frustration on ALL bikers here.

In credit to the N.R.P. (Niagara Regional Police) they put up with nothing by anyone, and I'd assume they'd be ticketing every last one of them. And if 100 cyclists surrounded them, then they'd have back up there in no time.