Thursday, April 10, 2008

broken glass in bike lanes






D: Well spring is here. The roads are clear. The side of roads and bike lanes are not.
The problem with gravel in bike lanes is the looking down. Rather than looking for traffic, I am trying to spot broken glass.
The route I take to work is:
-uptown Waterloo, Caroline Street
- the Laurel Trail
- past UW
- to Parkside
- then over to Kumpf drives on the sidewalk near it. I walk my bike across the crosswalk.

Last year, I attempted to phone the city about broken glass. They asked for the precise location. I admitted I had only the vaguest idea, since it is beside a nondescript patch of generic wall with no landmarks on Parkside.
I am curious about how often the street sweepers bother with road edges. I will ask the city about this, but don't expect them to answer.
Today, I am calling about the THREE piles of broken glass on the way to work.
I will tell you how the conversation went. Then report when it is finally cleaned up.
I would like get to the point that I can do so methodically.
I would like to use various pic/map sites online to indicate present temporary road hazards.
First, I gotta figure out how to use those services.
I need more exposure for this blog. I hope to approach bike stores about it with some reciprocal deal. I wish to eventually offer a viable service to the community. That requires word of mouth.
I would need folks to contact me with info I can post about traffic pinch points and temporary road problems.
How cool is that!?

Flat tires from broken glass has been my highest cost cycling the past few years. I know on Regina the sides of the road can have glass for up to a month before the sweeper gets it. How many sweepers go down that road in a month? That is in student territory, and the amound of broken glass from drinkers and recycling boxes is high.

Things have improved on Father David Bauer. A few years ago, there were stones the size of hen's eggs in the bike lanes. No longer. The sewer grates and pavement in the bike lane are pretty choppy, though.

Anyway, I will post a pic of today's traffic pinch point tomorrow. The pic last night didn't look like much. It is on the Laurel Trail in the park near WLU and UW. Through the park, to the parking lot there is a car lane. I checked, and it definitely has a stop sign. Nobody at all stops - nobody. Most don't even try the compromise 'slow rolling stop'. That is where I would have been hit a coupla nights ago. I have a flashing lights all over the place- even a cursory check would have detected me. Nobody stops. I sure wish somebody would tell the police that.

I think the stop sign there cannot work. I think it should be a yield/caution sign.
The trail users ought to stop, just due to vested self interest.
But they need to be told to do so.
That trail is great for all modes of transportation except rollerblades. There is a long stretch of gravel, then flagstone towards uptown Waterloo.

A lady had her dogs off their leashes yesterday. A coupla years ago, I got run down by a big family dog off the leash on the Iron Horse Trail. The dog's teeth scraped my denim pants. Just because your family dog is a member of the family, don't assume it won't run down a cyclist like they were an antelope. I don't wait to see what the dog is gonna do anymore. Sorry about your dog... but leash it. It's the law, after all.

No comments: