Saturday, March 20, 2010

espn host jokes about running over cyclists... lance armstrong takes exception

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03/espn-tony-kornheiser-audio-youtube-run-em-down-cyclists-bikes-lance-armstrong.php

"What a complete F*****NG idiot" ... yup.

But there is give and take. I remain horrified by cyclists on the road after dark without lights.
Cars don't do that  - for a reason.
And a cyclist has no shell of metal around them.

Believe me when I say cyclists very much don't like to be in pinch points on the road with cars.
Uptown Waterloo, poor parking on King - and a complete lack of painted parking guides- all but ensures this.
Maybe folks buying SUVs should need to pass a skill -testing question- parallel parking.
In that situation, with 2 lanes each way available, I do in fact hog the whole lane.
That, or I can swerve suddenly as the lane narrows. 

Also,  the only reason I will very slowly cycle on the sidewalk uptown is because I occupy so much width if I walk it. I personally dislike cyclists that gun it fast past store entrances. Most folks don't have the good sense to look first when stepping out of stores.
Of course, I can still *pretend* not to see the cyclist- forcing him to swerve.
Serves them right.

Below is a typical sentiment.
-----

Natasha  is irritated by bicyclists. Why can't they go on the sidewalk? It is safer to run into a pedestrian than a car going 50 no? And don't gimme the bullshit that "they're a vehicle too" - whatever, you can't go the speed limit (which again, is 50km/hr, not 10) then don't ride in the middle of the fucking lane!!!!!!

16 March at 17:42 ·  · 

No comments: