Saturday, December 6, 2008

waterloo police for calling dead cyclist silly

http://news.therecord.com/News/CanadaWorld/article/454337

The road was bare and dry at the time, said Sgt. Fred Gregory of the traffic branch, but it was dark.

Martin had a light and reflectors on his bike but was not wearing a helmet, Gregory said. Family say he also wore a reflective vest. He was riding on the roadway at the time.

http://therecord.blogs.com/take_the_lane/2008/12/regional-police-service-apologizes-for-silly-remark.html

"Waterloo Regional Police Staff Sgt. Sue Kenny... saying "Riding a bike with weather conditions like this, it seems kind of silly.... It's common sense."

The apology:
"Our Service strongly supports the rights of cyclists to use our roadways safely, as a responsible and environmentally friendly method of transportation and recreation."

I talked with Insp. Beckett and believe the apology here is heartfelt. He noted that it is amazing how a single sentence can reverse a message, and the message from Waterloo Region Police, he says, should be that cyclists are a part of the transportation community.
-----------------------
D: incredible. Bikes continue to be view as toys, as always just an option compared to a car.
I just decided to winter cycle after all. The bus takes an HOUR each way. I can WALK that fast- and run in half the time. Or cycle in a quarter of the time.
I just lose too much time, trapped on a bus.
My last place didn't have parking. Having never owned a car, the insurance would kill me.
Plus I am not fond of the bus. Trapped with all those coughing sneezing sniffling sick people.
Watching the 'character' interact with folks that really don't want to.
Listening to teen girls say like every 2nd or 3rd word - it's not an interjection folks! Or shouldn't be. Yup, it's safe to say I show up to work an hour later with my blood pressure a mile high from stress.
I just bought Reelights, available from Waterloo Cycles on King Street. They look easy to install and very rugged. Batteries are spotty in cold weather.
I admit biking home tonight felt more like surfing. Once I get my 'sea legs', the training does wonders for off-roading on the Hydro Cut in mud.

No comments: